Exhaust System explained:
| The VES (Virtual Exhaust System)
is designed for “real world” drivers who demand
“race track” level power from their turbo car.
|Turbo car owners
know that a full 3” Cat-back (from the catalyst back to
tail pipe) exhaust system, allows the turbo engine to make the
most amount of power, but is often too noisy and uncomfortable
for every day driving.
| For some customers,
installing a full 3” system means enjoyment from the newfound
power and additional wheel spinning torque by unleashing the
turbo exhaust flow. This is all good until exactly 1 week later
when the additional power is overshadowed by downsides of the
Some of the common complaints are:
While we don’t currently produce large cat-back exhaust
systems (with good reason), we have observed and experienced
all the above complaints from our customers (and ourselves).
- Too loud at start up and at idle.
- Too loud at part throttle driving.
- Too much in-cabin noise during cruising speeds –
can’t hear the radio.
- Draws too much attention from law enforcement.
- Too many citations for modified exhaust -> leading
to citations for modified engine components.
- Car wakes up the neighbors when you come home at night.
- Exhaust system needs constant adjustments because it
doesn’t clear the rear axle and rubs other parts of
Enter the VES (Virtual
Exhaust System)…….A system that works “on
demand” at the onset of boost on turbo and supercharged
vehicles to free up all the backpressure (just as a large
exhaust system would) in the exhaust stream so the engine
can make maximum power. The VES system works as an active
dump tube that completely bypasses the restrictive exhaust
system when boost is present. As soon as the turbo spools,
the valve begins to open. By the time the turbo makes full
boost, the valve is fully open.
Highlights of the way VES works:
Highlights of how our VES components are built:
- Completely quiet and stock-like sounding during startup,
idle, and cruising.
- 0 delay in valve response to boost, yet very smooth transition
into boost mode.
- Automatic open/close under boost using existing boost
source on turbo engine and does not rely on wing nuts or
- Integrate a boost controller to control when the valve
opens or completely turn it off.
- Addresses virtually all complaints associated with large
3” cat-back exhaust systems.
- Solid billet steel construction holds up to high (turbo)
temps and won’t fatigue and fail in continuous heat.
- Precision CNC machined to tighter tolerances for a gasket-less
- Built using existing, reliable wastegating technology.
- Standard valve built to accept most common actuator bolt
patterns for wide range of spring pressures.
Universal and applications specific kits will be made available,
but as usual, all components will be available “a-la-carte”
for our DIY and fabricator customers.
Virtual Exhaust Sytem Installed
Click and Save As to Download
Test car: 2002 Volkswagen
Turbo Kit: ATP GT28RS Kit
Boost Level: 15PSI
Exhaust System: Stock muffler
and exhaust piping
Exhaust Modifications: ATP
Virtual Exhaust, 3.0" Downpipe